6.1 – Scope
Under section 11of the Railway Safety Act "(1) All work relating to railway works — including, but not limited to, design, construction, evaluation, maintenance and alteration — must be done in accordance with sound engineering principles."
"(2) All engineering work relating to railway works must be approved by a professional engineer."
6.2 – Engineering work related to Bridges
It is Transport Canada's interpretation that engineering work related to bridges includes but is not limited to:
- Preparing bridge design and specifications;
- Determining bridge load capacities;
- Developing construction, repair and modification procedures;
- Developing inspection and evaluation procedures;
- Reviewing bridge inspection reportsFootnote 9 and conducting the higher level reviewFootnote 10;
- Evaluating proposed maintenance deferrals; and
- Verifying that construction, repair, and modification work is completed in accordance with design and specifications.
First Issued: February, 2011
Revision 1: February, 2012
Revision 2: October, 2018