A declaration must meet the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act and its regulations.
What you need
- a printer and scanner
- to create a user profile online
Submit a declaration
Go to the Temporary Vehicle Importation System (TVIS),
- login (you will be emailed a password when you first register)
- select “Add a new request”
- print the declaration, sign, scan and save it
- upload the declaration
After you submit your declaration
Please allow up to 7 business days for processing.
If approved, a declaration bearing an approval stamp will be emailed to you. Otherwise, an explanation will be sent.
Reasons for rejecting a declaration
Your declaration may be rejected if:
- your request is incomplete, either not signed or not uploaded
- the vehicle is not the main subject of an exhibition or demonstration (example: the event is for advertisement or promotion of goods unrelated to vehicle)
- the time period you have requested is excessive and not supported with satisfactory justification
- you will be dismantling the vehicle for parts that will remain in Canada
- you plan to sell, gift or keep the vehicle in Canada
- you are importing the vehicle for a purpose that is not allowed or not related (consult paragraph 7(1)(a) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act and section 11.1 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations)