Applying to make a declaration to import non-compliant vehicles temporarily for special purposes

Your responsibilities after signing

By signing the Declaration, you agree to the following responsibilities once approved.

1. At the Canadian border

Present your approved Declaration to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials when your vehicle arrives at the border.

2. During the vehicle's stay in Canada

Do not use or dispose of the vehicle in any way that does not meet the terms of the Declaration. For example, you may not sell, gift, or permanently import the vehicle into Canada. The importation is strictly temporary.

Vehicles can be displayed in Canada to possible buyers but can't be sold in Canada. If you find a buyer in Canada, you must export the vehicle. The vehicle must then meet Canadian safety standards and go through the usual border clearance and import procedures.

3. When the Declaration expires

We'll send you a notice ahead of the expiry date. On expiry, you must send us proof that you have exported, or destroyed the vehicle.Footnote 1

Documents accepted as proof of destruction or exportation

  1. If exported: documents with a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and export date clearly marked.

    This can be any document stamped by customs (Canadian or U.S.) at the time of exportation. The documents must refer to the VIN, or the serial number if no VIN exists (as with prototypes and pre-production models).

  2. If destroyed under supervision of the CBSA: a certified copy of the Certificate of Destruction/ Exportation (E15 form).

    You must schedule an appointment in advance by contacting a regional Trade Compliance Division office. An officer will witness the destruction, inspect the disposed vehicle on site and confirm its complete destruction on an E15 form.

    For more information, contact the CBSA at 1-800-461-9999 (toll free in Canada) or 1-204-983-3500 (outside Canada).

    If destroyed without supervision: a certificate from an authorized disposal processing operation (not a recycler) is required.

    The certificate must have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), or the serial number if no VIN exists. Also, you need pictures or a video clip of the destruction process that show a complete destruction of the vehicle, including all parts.

    Note: Dismantling, disassembly or recycling of parts is not acceptable.

If you sign a declaration and then use or dispose of the vehicle in a way that violates the declaration's terms, you may face fines or other penalties. See subsection 7(5) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.