Apply for or manage a Pleasure Craft Licence (PCL)

Do you need a PCL?

Pleasure craft that are mostly maintained or used in Canada and meet the following criteria need a licence:

  • all pleasure craft that is equipped, even temporarily, with one or more engines whose total power is at least 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more including personal watercraft (e.g. Jet Ski, Seadoo etc.)

You can apply for a licence if you:

  • own a pleasure craft, or
  • are an authorized third party (like a dealer applying on behalf of a customer so that the craft can be marked before it leaves the dealership, or an employee on behalf of their employer to license a craft under a business name)

Pleasure crafts that don’t need a licence:

  • a pleasure craft with no motor or a motor of less than 7.5 kW (10 horsepower)
  • a pleasure craft that has a vessel registration

Check the expiry date of your pleasure craft licence

You can search to see when your pleasure craft licence is going to expire using your pleasure craft licence number.

Check expiry date