Recording a vessel under construction

As the owner, you may temporarily record a vessel in the Canadian Register of Vessels, if it is under construction in Canada by a Canadian builder.

Doing this will protect you if the builder goes out of business.

You might also be interested in learning about:

Complying with vessel design, construction and equipment requirements for small, cargo and passenger vessels

Record a vessel under construction

Fee: $25

Note: this is available only to vessels being built in Canada by Canadian builders.

  1. Complete and send in Form 15 - Description of Vessel Under Construction [PDF, 39 KB]
  2. Submit and pay

How long it may take to process your request

View the Vessel Registry service standards

Record a builder’s mortgage

Fee: $150

You can register a builder’s mortgage against a vessel recorded in the Canadian Register of Vessels.

Add a builder’s mortgage

Report that vessel construction is complete

No fee

Once the recorded vessel is built, the recorded owner must notify the Vessel Registration Office within 30 days after the construction is completed.

  1. Complete Form 2 - Builder’s Certificate for First Title in Canada [PDF, 50 KB], signed by the builder
  2. Send the form to the Vessel Registration Office

Submit and pay online

You can submit your documents and pay using the Canadian Register of Vessels Online Payment system. The final screen prompts you to pay by credit card or debit.

Submit and pay

Other ways to submit and pay

You can mail, fax or email your documents to:

Transport Canada
Vessel Registration (AMSED)
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N8

Facsimile: 1-833-983-1377

Payment options

  • By phone
  • By cheque or money order, payable to the "Receiver General for Canada"
  • Federal government only: you must pay using the Interdepartmental Settlement (IS) process

Contact us

Toll-free telephone: 1-877-242-8770
TTY: 1-888-675-6863